Repairing anything from an air conditioning unit to a furnace or a boiler can cut out a significant chunk of money from the owner’s pocket. Maintenance is also costly, but they go a long way in keeping the boiler in good condition and also helping one make savings on boiler repair in Staten Island. Every boiler has to undergo certain checks as part of its annual and periodic maintenance. It is better to get a technician to carry out the maintenance as there are quite a good number of steps involved in the same.
Periodic boiler repair and maintenance checklist
Following are some of the things that consists the periodic maintenance checklist for a boiler:
- Maintaining the proper oil level in compressor lube tank. This should be checked daily.
- Cleaning the oil filters twice a week.
- Checking whether the air filters are clean. Clogged air filters are not good news as it can lead to poor air/oil mixture and carbon build-up.
- Keeping the sight glasses clean for a clear view of burner flame and any signs of carbon build-up on the combustion chamber of the boiler.
- Flushing the drain low water cut-offs/sidearm oil pre-heater. This should be carried out twice a week.
- Flushing the drain low water cut-offs while the burner is ignited and a flame is present in the combustion chamber of the boiler. The flame should turn off when the unit is flushed.
- Flushing the down water-line heater, shutting off the lower isolation valve, opening the drain valve to flush the unit, shutting the drain off valve and reopening the isolation valve.
- Conducting boiler bottom blowdown for clearing any sediment. Controlling chemical treatment concentrations monthly or as required.
- Monitoring the smoke alarm weekly.
- Monitoring the make-up water being added to the boiler or the boiler feed unit. Excess amount of untreated and oxygenated water is harmful to the boiler components and is often a sign of a leak.
- Inspecting the burner controls and operation as well as checking combustion.
- Conducting a trap inspection program
- Conducting a pipe inspection program
- Maintaining a boiler chemical feedwater treatment program
Annual boiler repair and maintenance checklist
Following are some of the things that consists the periodic maintenance checklist for avoiding boiler repair in Queens.
- Inspection of all manhole gaskets for leaks.
- Inspecting and cleaning fireside surfaces.
- Inspecting and testing all safety valves.
- Burner refractory material Checking.
- Cleaning and rebuilding low water cut-off.
- Recalibrating all operating controls.
- Inspecting and testing all system valves.
- Cleaning the condensate receiver.
- Overhauling the feed water pumps.
- Inspecting the electrical terminals.
- Checking the fuel oil levels.
- Cleaning and tuning the boiler and components.
- Cleaning and inspecting the chimneys.
- Switching the boiler automation to summer mode.
The annual maintenance should conduct during the heating seasons by a certified technician. Instead of handling it on own, homeowners can look up boiler repair near me and find a reliable company for the job.
Simone Arnica is the certified and more than 35 years experienced HVAC expert from Arnica Heating and Air Conditioning Inc. suggesting maintenance tips for the HVAC system to protect it from early damage, unwanted maintenance cost and also to save on energy cost. Follow the blog to learn how it can be done easily.